From 1950 to 1986, the parish church of El Buen Pastor (The Good Shepherd) was linked to the parish, and later Cathedral, of Our Lady of the Candlemas of Mayagüez. Bishop Ulises A. Casiano Vargas, Bishop of Mayagüez, established the parish of El Buen Pastor on May 26, 1986. The parish includes the chapels of Santa Teresita (est. 1999) and the Christ of the Miracles (est. 1987) in Mayagüez Heights.
In 2004, The Good Shepherd Parish was transferred to the Jesuits and Father Fabián Rodríguez was appointed Parish Administrator. The current administrator is Fr. Jose Ruiz, SJ.