The Jesuits USA Central and Southern (UCS) Province seeks a creative, tech-savvy professional to join the communications team as Communications Specialist. Reporting to the provincial assistant for communications, the specialist will assist in the planning, development and management of communications to both internal and external audiences.
The specialist’s primary responsibility will be content for digital delivery of messages. This will include updating the province website and posting to a variety of social media sites as appropriate.
The specialist will manage the province’s outreach to young adults, both young men considering entering the Society of Jesus, and others interested in Ignatian Spirituality.
As a bi-lingual organization, the province must be able to communicate with all of its constituents. Therefore, fluency in both English and Spanish is preferred.
Digital Media (website and social)
- Work with the provincial assistant for communications to develop digital communication strategies and tactics that support the mission of the Society of Jesus and vocation promotion.
- Manage social media strategy and activity, including content development, scheduling and publication, as well as reporting on key metrics and trends.
- Develop and publish content according to editorial calendars and current events.
- Proactively research events, initiatives and people to feature on website and social media.
- Develop relevant metrics and assist with regular reporting.
- Take photographs and video; edit both as needed.
- Work closely with vocation office to promote vocations to the Society of Jesus via the province websites and on social media.
- Work with staff at the Jesuit Conference of Canada and the United States on shared vocation promotion activities.
- Help determine a marketing approach and style guide for vocation promotion in the UCS Province.
- Create print and digital resources to support vocation promotion.
- Provide support to members of the province involved in vocation promotion on a part-time basis.
- Assist with content development for development purposes.
- Help to plan and promote events around the province. Attend events as appropriate.
- Translate documents, some confidential, from English to Spanish and vice-versa.
- Work with the provincial assistants for communications, advancement and vocations, as well as staff designer and other staff to enhance effectiveness of communications to Spanish-speaking audiences. Consult on language, messaging and design.
- Offer live or phone interpretation with Spanish-speaking colleagues, discerners and others.
- Write articles for publication in the province magazine and website or other outlets.
- Maintain the integrity of the Society’s brand and style guide.
- Take photos and videos, especially at events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have an understanding of and appreciation for the Catholic Church and the Society of Jesus. Understanding of Ignatian Spirituality a plus.
- Creative, results-oriented self-starter who recognizes the importance of details.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and discretion.
- Must be able to capture appropriate tone as well as message for relevant audiences.
- Bachelor's degree or comparable experience.
- Working knowledge of MS Office preferred.
- Photo and video-editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Familiarity with fundraising and communication strategy helpful.
- Ability to translate strategy and print content into relevant digital content.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to operate within fixed deadlines while balancing multiple priorities, and to manage projects independently or with minimal oversight.
- Must possess strong proofreading skills.
- Strong project and time management/organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred but not required.
- Minimum of one year of marketing, communications, development or public relations experience required.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with good collaboration skills.
- Previous experience in marketing, planning and executing events helpful.
- Some evening and weekend hours are required throughout the year.
- Some travel may be required.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to Therese Fink Meyerhoff, Provincial Assistant for Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional positions are also posted on the Jesuit Conference job board.